Bargaining power with physicians on reimbursement rates, bulk
purchasing power for medications, all sorts of things. Being big has
its advantages. I'd say that group purchase power on pharmaceuticals
will be one big cost saver.  It is true that they might be able to
reduce reimbursement rates for physicians. On the other hand it should
reduce administrative overhead for physician groups by streamlining
claims procedures.

I do worry about the "protection money" angle. In fact, I have already
talked about that concern in this thread twice. I've seen that same
strong arm tactic from private insurance companies that you are
talking about and I noted that if I had to chose between a single big
private company and a single big government insurer in this case, I'd
probably choose the government one because it is easier to lobby and
look into the government behaving like a bully. You at least have a
representative to complain to, unlike with BCBS or Kaiser. But I agree
that it is a concern and have said so. There are lots of concerns that
are quite valid and things we are going to need to address.

Judah