I'm saying that there is a strong group of people whose families have
lived in that area for many many generations, who possess a common
identity and who are being fucked over by people who try to argue away
their existence and rights based on lawyerly parsing of dubious minor
points of history instead of actually looking at the real families on
the ground that really exist in a real place today.

I like learning history, I love seeing the changing boundaries on
maps, of tribes and nations, wars and truces. Cool stuff. In this
case, however, the arguing over details like "protectorate" versus
"country" is being used to take focus away from actual real people who
are alive today. And that is an injustice. Figure out the problems of
the actual people in the region, then everyone is welcome to go back
to debating the intricacies of empire building and collapse.

Cheers,
Judah