Ya know... the oil actually belongs to Iraq... to the Iraqi people. Currently the
Iraqi regime has some control over the money that is earned when the oil is sold...
the oil for food routine via the UN sanctions work to some extent however the regime
still manages to get their hands on a lot of the money... some of it through smuggling
of oil.

The Russians currently have most of the contracts for supporting the oil producing
infrastructure, pumps, pipelines etc... but the real money is in the oil, not the
facilities.

A regime change in Iraq opens the opportunity for a true redistribution of wealth.
Currently the general Iraqi population is dirt poor. The money flows only through the
regime and their cronies that is all about keeping the regime in power. Therefore most
of the GNP is generated through military spending. With a regime change that money
generated by the oil can be used for roads, librarys, industrial expansion, the
general increase in the standard of living of the typical citizen.  The US will not
own the Iraqi oil .... unless of course we take over the country ala the techniques of
Saddam when he took over Kuwait for a few months in 1990.

Truthfully the worlds got plenty of oil right now... the world has been getting along
just fine without the oil from Iraq which has been cut way back the last 10 or more
years.  Venezuela, which supplies 25% of the US oil imports is the real concern now...
with their current slide towards civil war.