Jaye I think we're starting to argue semantics and not the facts. I
agree with the trip methodology, but when I got in the car, macromedia
told me the destination was rapid development and lower costs. The new
altered path is u-turn, because now we are heading towards longer
development and higher costs.

By all means, I am not arguing that Allaire didn't get us to that
destination. Cold Fusion delivered what it promised. This is why I am a
firm believer in the rapid development philosophy. But now that we've
gotten there, why are we turning around and going back to where we
started. If this is the sine curve of web development, then maybe I get
off here, and be ahead of the game when you guys turn around again.

Jaye. I fully understand this technology. I know what's going on under
the hood. Yes there is some bandwidth saving aspect of flash apps, but
my end user doesn't care. If it takes 30 seconds to load the page, they
are gone.

As a capitalist you are assuming that if you invest more, you will get a
higher return. Even though there isn't much evidence to prove this. If
amazon.com decided to go into an RIA, they would be negating the
millions the spent to build their existing site, not too mention
spending three times their original investment. Just because it's in
flash, how is it going to sell more books? The fact that RIA means
higher quality is still unproven. MM can give you the Starbucks lecture
about how people will pay for 'experience', which I think holds true in
brick and mortar. I think it's a pipe dream in the world of the web. If
Barnes and Noble has a better price on Harry Potter, people will buy it
there, regardless of the online buying 'experience'.

If an RIA is going to cost me 3X as much, then I want to see 4X the
return or it wasn't worth it. I don't think changing the media of the
site will impact returns to that extent.

For the last few years I've been telling upper management that I can cut
costs, raise quality, and employ less developers. Cold Fusion is the
solution for us. Am I supposed to go to them and say, I need 3 times the
budget per project and quadruple my department size (4x my yearly
operating costs) I have no evidence that this will bring us any return
on our investment or will our application be higher quality. They will
in fact be slower to load though, and probably won't be accessible to
everyone. Oh yeah, please disregard everything I've told you in the past
few years, about saving money and faster development. I've changed my
mind. (Seriously, if I didn't write this, I'd think it was from a
Dilbert comic)

A year is not enough time to completely contrast a philosophy. Look, I'm
just trying to shed light on this shock you are attributing to 'new
technology'. I'm not making these facts up; I'm trying to logically
explain them. In August of last year anyone talking about emerging MS
technology on this list would get flamed and lambasted. I can't tell you
how many times I got the M$ evil empire lecture. But last month I
noticed a large part of this community actively learning .NET. Which is
very concerning considering CFMX hasn't even been out a year.

My underlying issue is that Macromedia is very fickle. I can't tell you
where they are going to be in a year. Which mean I don't know where I, a
MM developer will be in a year either.

Adam Wayne Lehman
Web Systems Developer
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Distance Education Division