At 05:08 PM 3/6/2003 -0500, Adrocknaphobia Jones wrote:
>My underlying issue is that Macromedia is very fickle. I can't tell you
>where they are going to be in a year. Which mean I don't know where I, a
>MM developer will be in a year either.

Then don't upgrade?  Keep the current version you have and remain a happy
camper?  Don't do any RIA development.  RIA is nothing more than MM trying
to set a trend.  You can either jump on the trend bandwagon or you can look
for another trend.

Currently, where I work ... we're developing our first RIA website for a
lawyer firm.  Basically the whole public side is going to be done in
flash.  We're also offering a low bandwidth side, not because we have too,
but because we realize that not everyone wants to jump on the flash
bandwagon and I showed my bosses that it is entirely possible to build both
the static and flash site at the same time using the same CFCs.  We have
one flash developer in-house that has never done remoting before in his
life and ... right now, he's making it look all too easy.  He's enjoying
it, it's something new for him.  So far it has NOT increased ANY additional
time or money necessary for us to complete this website.  It should be
launched by the end of April and everything is right on schedule as it
stands.  It will be using CFMX for the backend/admin and Flash
MX/Remoting/CFMX for the front end.

So, it's a choice... either your clients want it or they won't.  Either you
will do it or you won't.

Just one man's opinion,
~Todd

Todd Rafferty ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - http://www.web-rat.com/
Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/
http://www.devmx.com/