Matt Robertson wrote:

> I think the original question has been forgotten here:  What is a good
> replacement for Access?  Well, we can all agree that "anything" is the
> correct answer :-).
>
> Next, I submit if you are using Access you are probably not running
> mission-control for NASA's next space launch, or tracking currency
> fluctuations the World Bank.  So given the likely limited nature of
> the task at hand I think that opens the door quite a bit in terms of
> what you can and cannot accept in a database.
>
> For the small to medium site, mySQL should work fine.

Not necessarily. Imagine a database with the financial
administration of a small club. It gets maybe 10 queries per day.
Probably less. Queries run in miliseconds. Small site by all means.
Next comes the euro. You need to convert your currency. After
doing a simple division by 2.20371, your balance doesn't quite
balance anymore.

Size is not related to the need for data integrity. Nobody cares
if the big databases behind Slashdot loose the comments of a few
trolls. The accountant cares if your 913782 byte database misses
3 cents(!).

> And when your application makes you rich and famous step up to the
> plate and empty your wallet for MS SQL or Oracle, or hire Jochem to
> figure out how to get PostGres running on your Windows server :D

As much as I would like to charge big bucks for that, it is as
easy as double clicking:
http://pgfoundry.org/download.php/59/postgresql-8.0-beta1-20040809.msi

(Please note this is a BETA installer.)

Jochem