On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM, denstar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I guess my question to you would be, what is a "java app" to you?
>
> How does JSP, Tapestry, Faces, Groovy, etc. fit into your picture there?

JSP and Faces are both part of the Java spec so its java (JSF 2.0 I
suppose). Tapestry is a framework and does not really do code generation as
compared to something like CFML. You'll note that I suggested selling CFML
as a Java framework earlier. Groovy is a completely different story and much
closer to CFML except that it needs no runtime nor the servlet container to
work. It really does compile down to bytecode and run. CFML on the other
hand compiles down to bytecode but can not exist or function on its own. All
CFML code requires a CFML runtime engine to actually provide functionality
(unless Railo is doing something different I have not looked at 3.x
extensively I figure I'll just wate for the source).

Very general!  Which is why, if you care about The Source, you're
> going to be asking a lot more than "is it Java", right?
>
> I bet there are JSP, etc., "powered" apps that tout themselves as
> being "JEE", neh?  Although it's all sorta the same, there's a world
> of difference, from a "can I jump into this thing's source?"
> perspective.

Well they are JEE apps if they are JSP, it is part of the spec.

> I make it clear at the outset that we're using a whole slew of various
> technologies, and that it's all open source, so I provide the code, as
> well, but I'm not selling code, I'm providing a service.

Right and that to me makes perfect sense!

> I get your point though, and I would not be touting my CF-based JEE
> app as having "pure" Java sources.  I don't think that's exactly what
> we were talking about tho, neh?  :-)

Sort of it. The original comment was give them a war and say it is a JEE
app, to which I think there are implications there to most people. The
implication (right or wrong) being JEE == Java [source]. Again if it is a
product and thats that, no extnetion points, then yeah who cares. But if
there is any extensibility or source code investment calling it a JEE app is
sort of underhanded due to my stance on what that implies. To your earlier
question yes I'd like to think a company would be smart enough ti interigate
further when purchasing an app + source. Ultimately it's the company that
has to support the source so they should damn well be investigating it
further that sort of where my original question of how much repeat business
do you get comes from. If a company finds they are given CFML and not the
"standard"  JEE app (which is rapidly degrading away as a standard) would
they come back?

Adam