> Wow ... thanks for the enlightenment Dave.  I know CF
> programs aren't "written" in Java, but they can be run on
> J2EE servers, where other previously programmed Java/JSP apps
> may be running.

That doesn't make you a Java developer. If I were to advertise myself as a
Java developer based solely on my CF experience, that would be fraudulent.

> Perhaps a better question would have been to ask whether any
> of you CF Pros have persuaded someone looking to build their
> new web app with JSP on a J2EE server ... to instead use
> ColdFusion ... either as a deployable container ala "Railo",
> or Adobe CF8 Enterprise.

Sure. CF makes a great replacement for JSP and all the templating libraries
out there (Velocity, etc.) But if you're going to use CF as just the
presentation tier (the normal role of JSP) you'd have to know how to write
servlets and beans in Java.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/