On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Adam Haskell wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 1:20 AM, denstar wrote:
>>
>> Are you being sarcastic?  I'm not quite sure.
>>

> Yes and no. I really am curious if you folks would deal with you giving them
> a "JEE app"* that they do not have resources to maintain. Now if its a
> turnkey solution sure I guess I see this working but in my world we never
> take something without getting the source code and needing customizations,
> so getting a "JEE app" that is not written in Java wouldn't work so well, if
> we didn't have a large CFML group at least ;)
>

> * Yes it is truly a JEE app no doubt there but there is an implication there
> that it is Java so unless it is clear that it is not I see that as
> underhanded.

Well, I guess my question to you would be, what is a "java app" to you?

How does JSP, Tapestry, Faces, Groovy, etc. fit into your picture there?

>> It's not Java, literally, (or maybe it is, actually ;]), so I wouldn't
>> sell it as "having Java source files", but I could see selling it as a
>> java application (or java-based).  At least, Dilbert-style: "the
>> pointy heads don't even know what Java is, but they've heard of it, at
>> least".
>>

> Agreed but like I said earlier selling something as JEE app has some general
> implications I think.

Very general!  Which is why, if you care about The Source, you're
going to be asking a lot more than "is it Java", right?

I bet there are JSP, etc., "powered" apps that tout themselves as
being "JEE", neh?  Although it's all sorta the same, there's a world
of difference, from a "can I jump into this thing's source?"
perspective.

Heck, for that matter, you could push something as "a CF app", but for
someone to work on the code itself, they'd need to know Reactor, and
ModelGlue, FarCry, etc., etc..

:-)

I know it's a different business model, to sell service vs. property,
but I'm really *really* liking it.

I make it clear at the outset that we're using a whole slew of various
technologies, and that it's all open source, so I provide the code, as
well, but I'm not selling code, I'm providing a service.

You won't get rich as fast as you would by selling license, but man, I
just feel good about it.  I'm not really in this for the money,
obviously, or I'd have quite my .edu day job long ago.

Bah.  Some people are gunning for me (if only through incompetence
(but it's not)), and it's sanctioned, so I'll probably be forced to
start making real money soon, but, fsck it, for now at least.

Whoops.  Where was I?  Oh yeah: Java == ????, just like CF == ????.

I get your point though, and I would not be touting my CF-based JEE
app as having "pure" Java sources.  I don't think that's exactly what
we were talking about tho, neh?  :-)

Yes, it's a business model that works.  So far, at least.  (Limited
testing on my end, but I believe the J-Man, who's been doing this a
while.;])

Folks seem to be dealing just fine!  WOOHOO!

--
What is the meaning of the togetherness of the perceiving mind, in
that peculiar modification of perceiving which makes it perceive not a