From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 4:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: token ring question

At 01:42 PM 11/9/00, NP-BASS LEON wrote:
>HOW????????????
>I would really like to know this one.....
>If I heard it correct Brian mentioned that he had a dumb MAU, so that MAU
>looks at that entire box as being one network segment, so how do you place
>two router interfaces with two different IP or IPX addresses on the same
>segment??????????????? IP will detect the conflict and IPX will beacon.

IPX can't beacon!!! &;-) I don't know how we managed to move up to the
network layer anyway. The question was "Can you configure multiple rings on
a single MAU?"

The answer is no. A MAU is a physical-layer relay. It's like an Ethernet
hub. Two rings requires at least a bridge or switch.

To be honest, I don't know what would actually happen if you plugged two
2500s into the same MAU and assigned two different ring numbers. I can't
think of anything in the Token Ring protocols that addresses this problem.
But I do know that it would be illogical, illegal, and downright ugly, kind
of like what's going on in Florida. &;-)

Priscilla

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.