Sorry about the IPX beconing, I meant the Token_Ring network would beacon.
I have gotten this to work on a Madge Ringswitch however.......

-----Original Message-----
From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 4:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: token ring question

At 01:42 PM 11/9/00, NP-BASS LEON wrote:
>HOW????????????
>I would really like to know this one.....
>If I heard it correct Brian mentioned that he had a dumb MAU, so that MAU
>looks at that entire box as being one network segment, so how do you place
>two router interfaces with two different IP or IPX addresses on the same
>segment??????????????? IP will detect the conflict and IPX will beacon.

IPX can't beacon!!! &;-) I don't know how we managed to move up to the
network layer anyway. The question was "Can you configure multiple rings on
a single MAU?"

The answer is no. A MAU is a physical-layer relay. It's like an Ethernet
hub. Two rings requires at least a bridge or switch.

To be honest, I don't know what would actually happen if you plugged two
2500s into the same MAU and assigned two different ring numbers. I can't
think of anything in the Token Ring protocols that addresses this problem.
But I do know that it would be illogical, illegal, and downright ugly, kind
of like what's going on in Florida. &;-)

Priscilla