I'm about to cause problems....a debate or something....

Something way back in my memory says it is possible to break one MAU into
two physical rings.  The real problem is that you have to voltage on a port
to charge and open a port's bypass relay.  If my memory is correct, you make
two crossover cables and plug one into Ring in and port 4, the other into
Ring out and port 5.  The first active connection on one half of the MAU
(lets say on port 1) will charge and open port 1 and because Ring out has no
bypass relay, the voltage will make it to port 4, charging it, thus causing
it's relay to open too, which completes the ring on the first half of the
MAU.

Now I can easily have this wrong.  This actually makes three rings, one of
which is un-useable as it involves 1/2 of ports RI, RO, 4 & 5.  Oh!, I think
what I'm missing is you have to have an active port on the other half of the
MAU too, to complete the charging circuit, otherwise it will flap on and
off.

Oh hell, I'm pulling this from 1985 memory.  It could be totally degraded by
now. :)  Or was it a Y cable plugged into a port with one pair going to RI
pins 3&4 and the other pair going to RO pins 1&2????

There is a way.  I'll sleep on it, but you've got the idea.  Someone should
try it out.  I would, but I don't have a MAU handy.

Rodgers Moore