That's a pretty broad stroke you're painting. The CCIE
is great, but the other certs can get you very good
paying jobs. Especially if you have good experience
with it. I made very good money as a CCNP, alot more
than what was quoted to you - $65K. And I live in city
that has very low cost of living. I have at least 5
CCNP friends making just about the same. None of us
are sys admins.
Now that I'm a CCIE, it is indeed alot easier to ask
for more, but I wouldn't skip the CCNP straight for
the IE. The NP gives you the incremental raises as you
work your way up to IE. It would suck to get 7% per
year for 2-3 years as you tried for the #. The NP gets
your more.