I believe Cisco Certs aren't the same as the other vendor's Certs, in that
for MS/Novell/Lotus alot of them require knowledge with their products. As
newer versions of the OS/App comes along, your previous knowledge will be
less relevant.

Alot of the knowledge for Cisco Certs involve understanding of protocols
that are not part of the Cisco standards (eg. IETF, IEEE, ANSI, etc).
Although they too get revised, this revision affects  other vendors not only
Cisco. So whatever you learn for the CCIE will most unlikely get wasted
compared to learning vendor technoligies like NT and Novell. If IETF had a
certification, CCIE would be pretty close.

The list of people you mentioned have had extensive experience in the
industry, that is why they are doing well. I believe they have worked on
some major projects, which allowed them the experience they have.

How I see myself using the Cisco Certs is by showing a level of competence
that will allow me to work on some major projects in the future. However,
without the Certs I would probably have to wait another 5-10 years to prove
myself.

Where I want to be is a freelance CCIE, travelling around working project by
project. I guess I need a few big breaks for me to get that opportunity, and
I believe having a CCIE will allow me to at least get a break =). (Any
freelancing CCIE's willing to give some advice, feel free to email =))

Don't worry, be happy!! Nothing to fear... one day you'll tell your
grandkids about the 'recession' of the early 2000s after the big bubble
burst =). (btw. US is technically not in recession, so mind how you use that
word)

Albert