>Memo from Steve Skinner of PricewaterhouseCoopers
>
>-------------------- Start of message text --------------------
>
>Guys,
>
>on saturday i passed my CCIE written ,just ....Horray for me ...
>But i have decided not to go for the lab?????......WHY?.
>
>well i have been in the industry for 8yrs..and i have spent most of that
>time chasing Cred`s,
>First it was novell
>Then it was Microsoft
>then i side-swiped into Lotus
>Now it is Cisco....and throughout all that time .as soon as i get these
>cred`s they seem to to be worth as much as they were.
>an articale taken from "the Times" about two weeks ago by a top london
>recuritment agent
>
>"At this present time ,even though we(England) are in a resonable period of
>growth ,i presently have 5 of the most sort after network expert  CCIE
>awatiing work"

I Find that very hard to believe. Even if it is true, these 5 CCIE's could
have their own unique problems. Mabye they live in the middle of no-where
and are unwilling to relocate. Mabye they have criminal backgrounds. Mabye
they ask for salaries that are too high.

You can't really evaluate a problem with one isolated statistic.

>this got me thinking........how many CCIE does the world need.
>
>And more importantly HOW much work it there for CCIE`s,

A CCIE is not only a CCIE, but also a networking expert! Even if a company
doesn't specify "CCIE" in the job advertisement, it could only help to have
the certification when applying for the job.

>take this senario ... i presently work for a company that has over 12,000
>employees in the UK....we have 1500 cisco switches and routers running
>OSPF.BGP.ISDN,SMDS.,
>yet we have only ONE CCIE...this begs the question ....how many org`s are
>there out there to support all us IE.for economic means only why employ an
>IE if you only need (or can get away with) an NP who spent the time the IE
>did on his lab X-triaing into FOUNDRY and VOIP...?????

Even though the CCIE Lab does test the candidate's knowledge of Cisco VOIP
configuration, the equipment (Foundry, Nortel, Juniper, Cisco) used does not
change the basic theory behind the protocol. After becoming a CCIE, you
should have no problem figuring out other vendor's products.

>if we take this list for example there are plenty of people who are
>extremly advanced in there skill
>
>Howard,Pris,Chuck,Thomas,MR roysdon....these guys and more don`t SEEM to
>need the IE...maybe they have made the right choice..???????

I agree with you 100% that these guys don't need be to CCIE's. They have
proven themselves through their many years of experience. But how many
people out there have the experience that they have? Not many! The CCIE
would seperate you from the rest of the crowd and prove that you really do
know what you're talking about.

>this question is scaring me ....just a bit
>
>also,
>if i spend $4,000 on a test lab $1,200 per shot at the real thing >,then i
>actuallly pass ,if an organisation the size of mine only needs one
> >...?what

Again, the CCIE is more than a few letters and numbers. When you pass the
CCIE lab, you have proven yourself in an extremely stressful environment. If
your company is not willing to promote you, than many others will be.

>will the return on my investment B...??????   will there b so many >IE out
>there that i can`t find work because i am deemed to >expensive??????????

Having the CCIE will actually give you better job security. Having passed
the CCIE lab, you will have many opportunities open up to you.

>  i think i will do the following
>
>CCDP ,Secuirty/pix stuff then foundry.............
>
>your thought`s and advise please
>
>steve ...MCSE,CCNA,CCNP,CCDA,CCIe written
>
>VVSAF.......Very Very Scared About the Future

The number of non-technical managers and recruiters out there is astounding.
Since they can't give you a technical interview, the CCIE certification is
one of few things that they can use to gague your ability. It isn't one of
many pure-paper certifications that people can attain after reading a book
or two. You won't ever see anyone simply read a few books to pass the CCIE
lab. It really isn't possible.