On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Sean Young wrote:

> Come on guys.  Everyone's point is very well taken.  I am NOT saying that
> a CCIE also has to be an expert with Unix.  All I am saying is that at
> the very least, have a basic understand of Unix OS so that one can

???  Cisco has no relation to any UN*X....so why should a CCIE be expected
to be familiar with it just becuase he is a CCIE?  Obviously, if you had
spec'd that you needed a CCIE who was familar with unix, as well as the
software in question, you would have had people who could do the task.

> accomplish basic tasks required by the job.  I bet that all CCIEs knows
> how to change the network configuration in microsoft windows but not all

I'd be willing to bet last months rent payment that there is at least one
CCIE out there who /doesnt/ know how to make the required changes on a
windows machine..perhaps he or she grew up out of a Mac environment, for
example.

If you have a position that requires certian skillsets make SURE the
people who fill the position match those skillsets.  If you rely on a
certification that has nothing to do with any of the other skills you
need..well. You get what you get.

Everyone was a newbie at one time or another.  And the rest of us find
there is always more to learn, certifications or no.

...david

---
david raistrick (deep in the south georgia woods)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]