I completed and passed the 5th semester hands-on practical test early this
year. The lab scenario was to design, (i.e., IP address assignment) and
configure a 7 router, 2 switches and multiple hosts set-up with RIP and OSPF
routing protocols, NAT for internet access, etc.

We were three in a group and beforehand discussed on the IP address
assignment and who will configure what. The good thing with our group is
that we are all fast typists - and know what we are doing. Everything worked
fine except one major problem (although my memory fails me now with the
details)- the RIP subnetworks are not redistributed to the OSPF networks. It
took a while troubleshooting this problem and this has something to do with
the IP address assigment. This was corrected and everything worked as it
should be.

This was a whole day hands-on practicals but we were able to complete this
in 5-6 hours. The other group was not able to complete their practicals that
day and they had to schedule extra meetings to get their set-up working.

Our practicals for the 4th semester was also tough. Four router set-up, with
one router configured as frame relay and a router with ISDN fail-over backup
when the frame relay switch fails. There were other conditions to be met and
took us hours to properly configure and make it work. It was a closed book
and notes practical exam and our only resource is the Internet - online
materials from Cisco.

I missed my lunch as it took us about 5 hours to complete and troubleshoot
the configurations. This time we were two in a group. Our instructor
examined our set-up and configurations, tested it (extended pings, disabled
the frame-relay switch to initiate the ISDN fail-over back-up, etc.) and
graded us accordingly. I am pleased that we only got a 5 point (or was it 10
points) deduction.

The Cisco Networking Academy hands-on practical exams are not that easy. I
can only imagine how tough are the CCIE lab exams.