It wasn't a wisecrack, but it wasn't very well stated. The final exam
should be a summary of what was taught and practiced in class. It shouldn't
contain surprises or new materials or test new skills that weren't
developed in the course.

The course developer's goal should be that everyone passes. Everyone
passing means the course worked. That doesn't mean that everyone will. In
this particular example, I would imagine that to pass, a student has to
spend a lot of time practicing. Ensuring that is outside the course
developer's control. On the other hand, the course developer could
incorporate lots of labs, practice tests, etc., into the materials. It
sounds to me like the interim tests were multiple choice and the final was
hands-on. That's broken.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com