My opinion:

Certs really don't compare with actual real world experience. I am certified
but know people who aren't that know way more than I do because they've been
out in the field for so long. People need to realize that it's a whole
different world out there once they start working in this particular field.
There is so much more to take into consideration when you're working with
actual Cisco routers and switches in a production environment (different
vendors, circuits, telcos, etc.). New people that come into our organization
(EDS) are literally shocked when they realize that their Cisco
certifications give them a decent starting point, but the real world
experience is the only thing that will bring them up to speed regarding the
whole picture.

So, we need both Cisco certified and non-certified people posting on this
group. Both can contribute helpful posts depending on the questions asked
and the experience they possess.

Shawn K.
eds.com
ccxxproductions.com