At 02:51 AM 5/22/02, Chuck wrote:
>sorry to keep harping on this one, but I'm actually learning something here.
>Besides, my big project at work these days is working with a large
>university, replacing their campus physical and switch infrastructure. I'm
>finding the this discussion fascinating for that reason as well.

Well, it might not have any real-world relevance. ;-)

>If I read my source correctly, the max age field is supposed to be 2 bytes,
>and is supposed to be a time value,

That sounds like Message Age actually. Message Age times the age of a BPDU.
The root sends a BPDU with Message Age set to zero. Each bridge adds 1. So
it is sort of a hop count.

In a functioning network, the bridges don't pay much attention to this
since BPDUs are refreshed every 2 seconds.

>with the min being 1/256 second and the
>max being 256 seconds. other than in the initial STP process ( or
>recalculation )

In a non-functioning network, the Maximum Age threshold comes into play.
Its default is 20. You can change it (at the root bridge only; the others
learn it from the root). The Maximum Age controls the size of the network,
but it also has a much more important purpose, which is to start
reconvergence. As I understand it, the BPDU arrives with the Message Age =
to hop count. But the BPDU continues to age until it reaches Maximum Age.

If the Root Bridge fails, another bridge will notice the Message Age reach
the Maximum Age and start the process of taking over as the Root Bridge.

If the Root Bridge doesn't fail, but a path to the Root Bridge fails, if an
alternate path exists, a blocking port on a downstream bridge transitions
to listening, learning, and forwarding after it notices Message Age reach
Maximum Age. If a Root Port fails, another port on the bridge where the
failure occurred may transition directly into the listening and learning
states without waiting for Maximum Age.

It's horridly complex. ;-)

>the BPDU would for all practical purposes be time from the
>root. Correct? My source tells me only the fields and their values, and
>nothing about functionality. It would appear that the max age field tells
>the local switch how old a message can be before it is disregarded, or
>causes some other action to be taken. The message age field is the actual
>age as per the process you describe below - incremented by each bridge along
>the way.

Yes, that sounds right.

>The root path cost is used to advertise how far this bridge is from the
>root? "hops"?

No, cost like in OSPF. Each interface has a cost:

Link Speed      Recommended Cost Value
4 Mbps          250
16 Mbps 62
100 Mbps        19
1 Gbps          4
10 Gbps 2

>counting on my fingers, a max distance of 20 from the root is a whole lot
>different than a max diameter of 7.

The 7 is a recommended value. Try even finding it in Radia Perlman's book!?
;-)

I hope I didn't just confuse matters even more. In addition to the Perlman
bible, try the Clark and Hamilton holy writ.

Priscilla

> [...]
> > Message Age when the switch propagates the BPDU downstream.
> >
> > The Maximum Age threshold is 20. If a BPDU gets to a switch with the
> > Message Age already at 20, it will think that the tree needs
reconverging.
> > This would get ugly if switches on the edges were always trying to
> > reconverge. So, the max size from that viewpoint is 20 from the root.
> >
> > But 7? I really think DEC threw that in as a precaution. It's interesting
> > that IBM was saying the same thing about source route bridging at the
time
> > (max bridges is 7). (But try finding 7 in IEEE 802.1D Annex C, the
>official
> > standardization of source-route transparent bridging. The RIF can
actually
> > hold info for 14 rings and 13 bridges.)
> >
> > Back to the real subject at hand, the 7 max for STP is mentioned as a
> > recommended value in Table 8.2 Maximum Bridge Diameter of IEEE 802.1D and
> > is defined as "The maximum number of Bridges between any two points of
> > attachment of end stations."
> >
> > Then it's discussed again in Appendix B "B.3.1.2 Basis of choice." This
> > section is pretty incomprehensible, but, as far as I can tell, the main
> > reason for the choice of parameters is to minimize the lifetime of a data
> > (user) frame travelling across the switched network.
> >
> > Regarding gigastack, it sounds like the answer that Steven got from Cisco
> > is that each switch counts as a hop, so if STP is enabled, each counts
> > toward the _theorectical_ 7 hop count limit.
> >
> > But I bet you're right also that STP could be disabled with gigastack. It
> > sounds like the topology is already a single linear branch (stack) with
no
> > loops. There's no need to prune it into a tree. But I'm way out on a limb
> > now. ;-)
> >
> > Priscilla
> >
> > At 06:34 PM 5/19/02, Chuck wrote:
> > >you know, it suddenly occurs to me that I have been barking up the wrong
> > >[spanning] tree, so to speak.
> > >
> > >Let me guess - there is no maximum STP diameter in actuality because
>there
> > >is mechanism for enforcing a max diameter. The BPDU's apparently contain
> > >field which shows distance from the root, and this value is incremented
>each
> > >time it crosses a bridge. If that field is the root path cost field,
then
> > >this is a four byte value and that means a spanning tree could
>theoretically
> > >have a max distance from the root of  64000 or so?
> > >
> > >It's just that the recommendation in terms of "best practice" is
diameter
>of
> > >7.
> > >
> > >thanks to Marty A. for providing the link that was the spike that
finally
> > >began to sink through this thick head.
> > >

> > >""Chuck""  wrote in message
> > >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
OS
>is
> > >only

>treated