Whoa There!  Accusations are flying.  First of all, it is not illegal to
copy the look and feel of an interface.  Unless the artistic aspect of
the work may be completely separated from its functional aspect, no
protection is available from copyright law!  The concepts, processes,
ideas, procedures, systems, operational methods, principles and
discoveries are also not protected even if the work as a whole is
copyrighted!

These principles were decided with lawsuits where Apple, Lotus and Xerox
tried to form a legal monopoly by copyrighting a class of user
interfaces.  Of course they failed and as they say ... the rest is
history.  Imagine if Ford was able to copyright the placement of
automobile foot petals!  Jumping into a rental car and driving off would
be quite an experience!

Think about it this way: Do you really want an interface to by
copyrighted?  It would allow market domination of a market leader.
Imagine if every software program had to find a new and unique way of
saving a file.  Almost every program I own works the same.  You either
click on the disk icon, Select File then Save or simply press the
sequence [ALT]-f s.  If Lotus had it their way (which in the beginning
looked as if they might) the [ALT]-f s sequence could be copyrighted
forcing us to learn a new sequence for each vendor's program.

Futurewei (of whom I know nothing about) is not the only vendor copying
the Cisco interface.  Check out Avici (www.avici.com) or even the free
software Zebra (www.zebra.org).

As for your second accusation about this group supporting NDA violations
.. trust me, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that I do not
want to discuss in public.  I work very close with Cisco on this issue.
Every message sent through the server has a line appended to the bottom
telling the reader where to report NDA violations!  First time posters
are sent an e-mail of which they must agree that the message is not an
NDA violation.  And when you join the list you are sent a list of rules,
one of which strictly forbids NDA violations.

Paul Borghese

Warning:  I am not a laywer, but I play one on GroupStudy.