From: Craig Columbus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 8:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Huawei routers - a.k.a. futurewei.com [7:49778]

Just thought I'd comment on this....

Let me issue a disclaimer first:
I've never heard of these routers until this thread.  I'm only responding
to the information presented in these posts.  I've been, so far, unable to
verify the information presented for myself.  If I'm mistaken, and the
product isn't a Cisco ripoff, then I apologize.

With that said:

Am I the only one who finds it troubling that this company has, apparently,
copied Cisco's proprietary designs and is selling them as their own? Sure
they're cheaper.  So is pirated software.  Does it make it right to
support an operation like this?  These guys even ripped off Cisco's product
line names.  Surely there's some legal recourse for Cisco, at least in the
USA. I guess I'm bothered because this group is so anti-NDA violation,
anti-software piracy, etc....and then when something like this comes out,
no one bothers to speak up against it.  In fact, people seem excited
because they'll be able to put together a cheaper lab to practice for the
CCIE lab.  Personally, I don't see any difference between this and
willingly buying / exchanging pirated software.  If I discover that the
claims are true, and that this company is only selling reverse-engineered
Cisco products, I, for one, will not support them or their equipment.

Just my opinion...
Craig