The thing about comparing degrees to certs is that they aren't totally
comparable because they serve different purposes.  The degree is designed to
teach you general knowledge - basically to teach you how to think.

Let's face it.  The vast majority of college graduate use very little of
what they actually learned in college.  How many English majors really get
jobs where they do critical analyses of Elizabethan poetry?  How many math
majors really spend the rest of their lives doing proofs and theorems?  Yes,
there are some (particularly those who choose careers in academia) but they
are in the minority.  The majority go into the working world and take jobs
that have very little association with whatever they studied.

But that's not really the point.  Unless you really are going to be a
professor, the goal of an English degree is not so that you can memorize
Chaucer.  The goal is to provide you with a solid grounding of general
knowledge and training in critical thinking and creativity - skills that
improve your productivity as a worker.    College graduates on average make
more money than non-graduates and this is prima-facie evidence that the
college education enhances one's value even when doing a job that has little
to do with whatever you studied

Certs, on the other hand, make no bones about trying to provide you with a
broad education.  Certs are designed, ideally, to measure your knowledge of
specific skills.  Period.

As stated by someone else on this thread, the CCIE may prove to be valuable
in the network engineering profession, but has essentially zero value in any
other profession.  For example, you can't get your CCIE and then decide you
wanna be an investment banker.    But you can do that with an MBA.