I have heard these stories for years now.  They always start with ... I knew
a guy who knew a guy that was a CCIE and he didn't know this or he didn't
know that.  We all know what knowledge, skills, dedication, focus,
perserverance it takes to pass the CCIE.

When I see someone that tries to make themselves feel smarter or downplay
the importance/accomplishment of being a CCIE,  because of 1 CCIE who did
not at that particular moment know something rather trivial, I just laugh.
There are no paper CCIEs and there will be none. As long as the integrity of
the test remains the way it is.