Yawn..... Isn't this thread finished yet?

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 05 January 2003 04:33
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CCIE Vs. BS or MS degree [7:59481]

At 1:21 AM +0000 1/5/03, nrf wrote:
>""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  At 11:12 PM +0000 1/4/03, nrf wrote:
>>
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >So if it's doing public good that concerns you, then the more
>> successful
>you
>>  >are, the more you have to give.  Let's face it - it's not going to
>> be
>easy
>>  >to create a charitable foundation that helps millions of people the

>> way
>the
>>  >Rockefeller Foundation did if you're working for minimum wage.
>>
>>  Did I miss something about Mother Teresa's pay scale?
>>
>>  I never said she wasn't tough. Anyone who pays a visit to the
>> hospital bed of the then-Mayor of New York (Ed Koch) recovering from

>> a heart attack, blesses him, and then hits on him for more reserved
>> parking places for her missions is TOUGH.
>
>Touche, but the point I was trying to make was this.
>
>I don't want this to come off as a low-blow, and I'm certainly not
>accusing anybody here of being two-faced.  But I've heard the argument
>before from people who say that they don't want to enter the business
>world, or climb the corporate ladder because they think that Corporate
>America is corrupt and they are more concerned with  being ethical and
>doing good for the community.  Yet many of these same people (not all,
but many) do little if
>anything for the community that they claim to care for.   Which begs
the
>question that if you choose not to follow the rules of Big Business
>because you think it's evil and you are concerned with doing and being
good, then
>why aren't you doing good works?   Hmmm.

I can speak only for myself here. I've not been interested in going
into corporate top management because I don't enjoy the things even
very good, very ethical top managers need to do.  Yes, I'll wander
around exchanging ideas with colleagues and keep track of what my
developers are doing, but I have no interest in coming up with the
latest optimization for shareholder value, for mergers and
acquisitions, for untangling turf battles, etc.

But I am in the business world. I know I need to do budgets and
funding justifications for my own projects, and monitor schedules for
my own people. I'd rather not spend all my time doing that.  I enjoy
individual technical mentoring.

I won't say I'm quite like Steve Wozniak, who made his pile from pure
engineering, and now mostly does elementary school teaching because
he enjoys kids.  Personally, I'm a pedophobe. At the same time, I
can't ever see retiring because I have too much fun doing what I do.
My community service, if you will, tends to be at a policy level --
I'm involved in privacy policy, information technology in county
government, sexual rights, interdisciplinary stuff between medicine
and computing.

I've been a road warrior enough that I'd far rather try to grow a new
herb in my garden than take a grand tour to Paris.  Bad example. I've
never had a good experience in Paris. London, Tokyo, or Amsterdam,
maybe, but my first priority would be who takes care of the cats (Cat
1's, not 6500's.  Single tail circuit, four sets of connectors, null
male or female interfaces).

>Now, let me reiterate.  The above paragraph might be construed as an
>attempt by me to take a shot at certain people here.  Not at all.  I'm
>just stating a phenomenom that I have seen from some people not on this

>NG.
>
>By the way, while Mother Teresa may not have personally had a lot of
money,
>her practice obviously got money from somewhere.   You can't feed and
care
>for thousands without some kind of financial backing.

Of course not.  But she didn't have to demonstrate MBA-type skills to
a corporate hierarchy to get there.

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.