From: Jeff Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) wrote:
> > From: Jeff Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >> where is dvipdfmx?
> >
> > Well, it's certainly not in my pants, last time I checked... <_<
> >
> > dvipdfmx is an update to dvipdfm, and grew from dvipdfm-cjk
> > (dvipdfm-jpn and dvipdfm-kor).
> > On Debian, you have a package called "dvipdfmx".
> >
> > Try Google or Alibaba and see if you can find anything for your
> > distribution (which one should always do in the first place).
> >
> > The latest upstream version can be downloaded at
> > http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/snapshot/ .
>
> thanks so much for the comprehensive explanation! :)
> I am using cjk-current together with utf8 fonts created by subfonts.pe
> and Unicode.sfd.
>
> Just using `\usepackage{CJK}` in the example will give the error message:

> ) (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/CJK/UTF8/UTF8.bdg)
> ! Missing control sequence inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                 \inaccessible
> l.22 \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{nsung}
>
> ?
>
> However, `\usepackage{CJKutf8}` works well. Should I chose
> `\usepackage{CJKutf8}` to work with unicode fonts not `\usepackage{CJK}`?
>
> P.S.
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{CJKutf8}
> %%%\usepackage{CJK}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{nsung}
>
> \centering
> 《宿桐庐江寄广陵旧游》\\
> 作者:孟浩然 \\
> 山暝听猿愁,沧江急夜流\\
> 风鸣两岸叶,月照一孤舟\\
> 建德非吾土,维扬忆旧游\\
> 还将两行泪,遥寄海西头
>
> \end{CJK}
> \end{document}

Indeed you should use CJKutf8 instead of CJK.  The reason is the
following.

Once upon a time, each script had its own encodings.  This made it
easy to use different fonts: each encoding would use its own font.

With UTF-8 this is slightly more problematic.  And let's face it: the
Latin script of most Asian fonts just sucks (just look at Arphic).  I
didn't expect anything else, anyway.

If there is no "fontenc" option, all glyphs would use the CJK font.
To get nice Latin or Cyrillic glyphs, add [T1] or another font
encoding as an option, and CJK will first use fonts from the selected
font encoding.

\usepackage{CJKutf8} without any options will always use the CJK
font.

See doc/CJKutf8.txt for more information.

Best regards

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐

--