I'm a relatively new user of Clojure and thought I'd add my
perspective to the pile regarding what I would expect from a 1.0
release.

My biggest frustrations with Clojure as a newcomer were:

1. Setting it up so it was easy to use across projects
2. The API documentation

While the documentation on the Clojure site made it very easy to open
a REPL via a call to `java -cp ...`, it was much less clear how to
make a simple command-line tool that could be run from anywhere to
open a REPL, or run/compile a script. There is a bash script in
clojure-contrib that does some of this and it would make sense to put
this and maybe a similar Windows .BAT script in a 1.0 release.

Along these line, most other languages I've used come with an optional
installer for each major OS that sets up a standard operating
environment including command-line tools and a library structure.
Maybe Clojure 1.0 could have something similar?

Compared to Javadoc documentation, I find the current Clojure API
documentation a little terse and unorganised. In particular, I don't
find the large table of contents bar down the side of http://clojure.org/api
very useful.

Some of the clojure.org pages, such as http://clojure.org/data_structures
, have collections of "related functions" which I found very useful
when feeling my way around the standard library. Perhaps this sort of
thing could be formalised, extended and put into some easily navigable
format?

Though it is not as important, I've also had very good experiences
with Git and GitHub after having used CVS and subversion for many
years. I think the social infrastructure they created at GitHub adds a
lot of value to Git as a SCM tool.

I also agree with several of the other posters about a 1.0 release to
coincide with Stuart's book.

Regards,

Mark Reid
--