Chuck:

I don't have any pics of the mast holes but I will take some the next time I am on the boat. Yes they are definitely in a pattern.

We bought our 32 from the original owner that ordered the boat from C&C, Niagara on the Lakes, in 1984. He told me the mast holes were part of the 'special order(s)' he wanted.....the mast holes were for ventilation and not for the purpose Leslie Paal described in an earlier post:

"The primary reason is to have a 'fail safe' point on the keel stepped mast in
case the loss of standing rigging.  If the mast was going over it would not open up
the cabin as badly.  I agree the ventilation is a great bonus.

Leslie"

I have sailed on a C&C 24, 27, 30, 32, 33, 34R, 35, 36, 37R and 41 and the only C&C of the
10 that had the 'mast holes' is mine, the 32.  Most of the 10 C&C models I mentioned have keel
stepped masts.  I simply can't believe C&C would put those holes in the mast 'to have a fail
safe' point in the case of the loss of standing rigging.  If so, why doesn't all the C&C's with
keel step masts have the mast holes?  And they don't....sounds like yours (37R)does not have the
mast holes Chuck.  The 37R I raced on did not have them.

I will send the pics ASAP.

I think I have Rob Ball's e-mail address.....I might just ask him what the
holes were for.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84