I've been on a whack of boats and have never seen "fail safe" holes drilled in
a mast. Offshore racing rules stipulate that the base of a keel stepped mast
must be secured to the step. The mast foot is then held in place to avoid it
leaping around the cabin interior in the event of a rigging disaster and
possibly punching a hole in the bottom. Masts seem to bend quite nicely at the
spreaders in most of the dismasting pics I've seen.

Rich Knowles
Indigo - LF38
Halifax NS