Interesting. I'd always learned that rowboats, canoes and the like had the
right of way over sail, motor, etc, at least when meeting in open water
free of obstructions.  That usually seems to make sense, as a sailboat with
a decent breeze can usually avoid the paddler easily.

Here's a reference supporting this general interpretation:
http://newboatbuilders.com/boating/navrules.html . I'd imagine opposing
viewpoints can come up with opposing references.

The example Jonathan brings up is a situation where the sailboat is
constrained and the paddler should try to give way.  Knowledgeable paddlers
know to stay out of the way of boats in the channel, just as we sailors
know to stay out of the way of freighters!  Actually, there's also
reference in Dennis' link to similar situations, both "vessels constrained
by their draft" and rule 9, narrow channels.

This topic of sail vs paddle reminds me of a number of incidents from my
days on the sailing team in college.  We raced dinghies on the Charles
River in Cambridge / Boston, which was also the home of quite a bit of
human powered traffic including rowing shells. Shells are very fast, but
very slow to turn, especially the eights that were often out practicing.
We were told to stay out of their way, but on occasion during a drifter
there wasn't much we could do, and the shells had to avoid us since we
couldn't avoid them.

In one of the first regattas where I had just started to figure out how to
do well, I managed to lead around the last leeward mark and thought I had
the race wrapped up, heading into the finish.  Approaching the finish, an
eight that had decided to row through our course realized (probably because
of all the yelling from other sailors) that they could have picked a better
place to go.  They decided to turn around, and in the process completely
blocked the finish line, overlapping both finish marks with their long hull
just as I arrived.  As the first one there, there was nothing to do but
wait and guess which end of the line was going to open up first.
Unfortunately I guessed wrong and lost quite a few places.   In hindsight
it seems pretty funny - they couldn't have timed or placed their turn worse
had they tried.

Bill
C&C 37 Starfire
Ludington, MI