Hi John,

We live aboard a modest C&C 35-II, a 1974 boat, in Seattle, with wind mostly
from the North and South.  I hate to be bounced off the dock, and squeaking
fenders will make me get up in the night, and go spray them with the kitchen
soapy sprayer.  It’s best to spring the boat off the dock with lines from the
toe rail.  I have simply tied about a foot and a half of line or webbing, and
tucked the blight through the toe rail.  The stern spring location is just aft
of the gate, and I use a 3/8 line with a snubber and scrap of hose for chafe.
It’s actually my stopping line, repurposed to spring the boat.  I throw a
bowline around the cleat, run it to the toe-rail blight, push the hose back in
place, (yea I haven’t bothered to tie it there as things change) take the line
back to the dock cleat, easy. The forward spring has an old scrap of fire hose
for chafe and a snubber too, and goes through the blight about half way to the
shrouds.  You will play with the spring positions and lines a few times, till
you can get the boat off the dock and parallel to the dock.  Too far forward
and I will be pulling the bow away from the dock, too far aft and I’ll hit my
dinghy.  Hope this makes sense.

When you have it located and tensioned, all sorted out, you can be comfortable
in 30+ knots.  Then you just have to check the lines on the boats up wind.
Those rattly little knotted blights have held up for over 8 years, someday I
will do something prettier, a soft shackel,  or not. . .  Don’t over think it,
and yes carabiners will eat your toerail, not just the black coating, they will
chew up the AL rail too.  Look at the stern spinnaker block locations of boats
that have been heavily raced.  SS will eat AL.

Good luck, Lee
Simplicity in Seattle