Hey,

Generally, the whisker pole is used if you are sailing downwind and the
barber hauler if you are reaching.

On my boat, if I am doing a windward / leeward race, we will have genoa and
mainsail in tight for upwind work. Once we round the mark and head downwind
we will run wing and wing with the whisker pole holding out the genoa. We
try to have the main on the port side of the boat and the genoa on the
starboard side so we are on starboard and have rights over port tack boats.

If I'm sailing on a broad reach, anything from 50 degrees to 100 degrees
apparent wind, I will use a barber hauler. It's just an old jib sheet and
snap shackle. The shackle is connected to the toe rail and the line tied to
the clew of the sail. Then I take in the barber hauler and ease off the
sheet. This allows the clew to move outwards but not up. Depending on the
wind angle the shackle will be moved forward or aft.

On a reach you can sail significantly faster if the sheet lead is in the
right position. Use an old block and an old sheet and experiment. You will
quickly see the benefits.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
leno...@optonline.net
Deep Blue C, C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

From: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
To: CnC CnC discussion list <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
I have been reading about Barber Haulers to help with reaching by getting
the clew further outboard and keeping the leech from twisting off.  I was
thinking of a snatch block on the toe rail and a line snap shackled to the
clew attachment point to accomplish this.  However, I have also seen people
using their whisker pole on the leeward side to hold the genoa clew outboard
and up.  Has anyone compared these options?  The pole seems more of a
hassle, but should be more effective.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT