I rig barberhaulers also. I attach a pulley on the toerail at the sweet spot,
with a soft shackle and string up the top of the pulley to the lower lifeline
so it doesn't flop around. I keep a short 5/16" diameter line for this purpose
with a carabiner in one end and clip that to the upper lifeline when not in
use. To engage the barberhauler, we simply clip it onto the clew cringle and
adjust. We have to unclip the barberhauler before tacking, so the regular sheet
needs to be tensioned before that, so some crew have complained about it's
benefit because they have to remember to do that. I may try repositioning the
pulley back a little and clipping onto the sheet instead.

I sail mostly solo now, so hope to use them as twings for the spinnaker
sheet/guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chuck S Resolute 1990 C&C 34R