On 11/11/11 9:50 PM, April wrote:
> Actually I had a long existing project that I start working on in 4.1
> before the release and then 4.2 when I started icloud support up
> until now. I've hit multiple delays and setbacks due to adding
> features out of fear of 1 star ratings due to "It's useless cause I
> cant..." Even though many of the features are simply moronic on a
> touch platform. For instance the ability to draw freehand on an
> iphone in an app for serious use.

As a user, I hope that if a developer considers a feature "moronic" then
they wouldn't include it.  You of course can never satisfy everyone, so,
IMHO, best not clutter an application with ill-advised features.

> Anyway.... all I did when I started working in xcode 4.2 was set the
> base sdk to 5.0. I never changed the deployment target away from
> actually, 3.2. Later I implemented ARC but only changed the
> deployment target to 4.2. And this project was originally poorly
> implemented in that there were 2 separate projects, 1 for iPad, 1 for
> iPhone/iPod. So I brought all of the code under one roof and used a
> simple ISIPAD definition (a macro for the interfaceidiom check) to
> figure out what should do what. not that that matters. Anyway. In

OK, this is what I was getting at in my previous message.

Let me make sure that I understand correctly.  You started out with a
*single UI idiom* (i.e. iPad or iPhone, but not both) project, then
manually created a *universal* app (i.e. one for both iPhone and iPad)
by merging code together?  That is to say you NEITHER started a new
Xcode project of the "universal" type NOR ran the "upgrade to iPad" tool
in Xcode?

If this interpretation is correct, then my previous point remains: you
may have skipped over some important project settings that the build
system is expecting to be configured but aren't (or are configured
improperly).

> xcode 4.1 the arch had been armv6/armv7 and I never really bothered
> to look at it again after installing the final xcode 4.2. I built and
> ran.. according to the bundle version script's last incrementation at
> release 2673 times over a 5 month period. Installed at least a dozen
> or more adhoc builds via itunes to check some built for release
> things. never got an actual error... though I was ignoring warnings
> in the build window. Won't do that again. so last night I was
> surprised. Like I said stack overflow had an answer, but since
> starting this thread I now understand the problem, thanks both to you
> and others. Had I changed the build target to 4.3 I'd have never seen
> the error. But because I was trying to maintain some degree of
> backward compatibility I got the error. I did manage to get it
> submitted with armv6/armv7 compatibility. version 3.1 may not support
> armv6. I'm still contemplating that. mostly I hate the "What about
> us" support emails. The ones I got a few hundred of when I updated a
> mac app to intel only, app store only.

So what did you end up doing to get it working?  I thought you were
using a compiled library that was armv7 only?

> So I guess, technically if you can consider it converting rather than
> uh... Conforming it to xcode 4.2's available settings until it built,
> I manually converted it. This is embarrassing to admit, but at the
> time I was so wrapped up in getting this app working, chasing bugs
> and trying to have it submittable by the GM seed (which I missed by a
> damn site.. thanks useless assembly language class I will never use
> in life.) that I didn't really give much thought to reading the
> "switching to" docs.

This happens to everyone I think.

But as I tried to make clear above, I was not talking about converting
to Xcode 4.2, or to ARC, or to armv7, but particularly about converting
to a universal (iPhone/iPad) app.

> Well with the app submitted and my motivation to learn cocos2d low...
> Thats a long story that for the first time in 10 years has me
> seriously considering trying to sell a project rather than complete
> it. Anyway, I suppose it's time to catch up on the 4.2 docs and
> "switching to" notes etc. I have 4 apps, two on the store, two in
> development, that need updating/completion. Plus the app this thread
> relates too already has a full plan for 3.1 laid out as well as
> around 500 lines of commented code. (Things I skipped in order to get
> it out the door.) It would be nice to not have to ask another dumb
> question each time I start work on one of these. Besides, even with
> months of 8+ hour days deep in the code, I just know that the
> complete failure of iBetatest.com to produce anything useful, means
> I've missed something somewhere in my testing and that of the 1
> person that ever ran the app when I asked them to, and I am going to
> have to fix a crash that never happened in all that time. After all,
> those apple people could find a bug in 'hello world.'

Between ARC and the static analyzer, a great many crashers can nowadays
be eliminated.

As for the task of finding good, reliable beta testers... if you figure
out a secret, please don't keep it to yourself!

--
Conrad Shultz

Synthetiq Solutions
www.synthetiqsolutions.com