This is what I've always thought as well (though I thought the topics were supposed to show up as well? I suppose that's a minor detail) and is borne out in the way that I use +p on my own channels. I use it if I am going somewhere and I don't want people in that channel to /whois me and follow me to my own... but I still want to be on /list for people who are actually interested in me :)

Unfortunately for whatever reason this is _not_ the way the current version of ircu works. Both +p and +s are totally hidden from /list (it doesn't even show a "*" or "Prv" like some older ircd versions did).