> I think that the simplest way is to use the Telnet examples as a
> test for the new funtionality. I'll review the examples to see if
> they cover all the new stuff.  I have been thinking about providing
> test cases: the problem is we should have a telnet server with a
> controlled behaviour (one for which we can set option managing
> properties) to define true test cases for the new
> functionalities. As we are going to test how TelnetClient implements
> the protocol (option negotiation and subnegotiation) we should have
> the possibility to set up the test cases (and look at the result) at
> the protocol level.  I tried to find the original test suites for
> commons net (because the original test for TelnetClient should have
> the same problem) but couldn't find it. Can you please send me a
> link to it? The idea could be modifying it for the new stuff...

Bruno,

I agree that testing at the protocol level would be needed and also a
functional test against some existing servers.  Both types of tests
are going to be useful.  Currently there are no tests, only some
examples.  This is an area where commons-net really needs some polish.
It may be difficult to write *unit tests* for the existing code, but
functional tests might have to do instead.  But for new code (
especially new classes ) we could start with unit tests that do not
require external systems.  It is a difficult task to start out with,
but one I think we need to start talking about at least.

So any idea on getting a test harness for functional tests (
fit.c2.com / fitnesse.org are what I'm currently using at work and
seems to work well ) and/or staring with some small unit tests would
be beneficial.  Maven is setup to fire junit based tests nicely and we
have some unit tests for the line parsers for the ftp code already.

Thanks.