my 2cents

  (1) I think it would be best to get a 1.0 release of commons-math as a
jakarta-commons subproject before any movement (the good-old KISS acronym
comes to mind)

  (2) I am not sure to what extent math may get developed, as was stated
in a different thread previously Java is not the best platform for
Numerical Analysis.  That being said, I dont forsee commons-math as a
serious Numerical Anaylsis lib, rather a convenient and useful tool to
explore 'simple' problems.  This could be significant in research, in my
opinion you dont really need to 'crank' up the system in most cases, and
have a handy library that can get some nice results quickly in a Java
setting is very valueable.  There are plenty of high-scale number
crunchers, and most of the best performing ones will always be in F77 due
to its static nature.  It may very well be that some of the value out of
the math project is as an SPI to these backend 'crunchers' which provides
a nice Java interface to interact with the rest of the world.  (leading me
back to the beginning of this rambling...)

  (3) I am thoroughly confused as to the pros-cons of what moving this
the apache-commons level would do.  I like the idea of a 100% java
framework at this point (leading me back to point #1).

In summary, I think it should stay where it is for now.

--
      Matt Cliff
      Cliff Consulting

      The label said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux.