Mark R. Diggory wrote:

... There is significant number of us with an interest in seeing
> numerically sound implementations of various aspects of mathematics
> in java... Suffice it to say that java
implementations do provide an elegant means to explore ideal Design Patterns for Mathematical packages and provide a foundation for exploring how to "bridge" java with other languages that may be more optimized to handle such computations. These are noble goals.

Agreed. I can see the development of higher level APIs as a major goal for [math].

Interestingly, there are quite a few directions to pursue.
One major direction is floating point number crunching, in
particular
- engineering and physics support, including large equation
  systems, ODE, PDE, numerical integration, continuus
  optimization, large eigenvalue problems, integral equations
- computer geometry support, mainly CSG
- computer graphics
The other rough direction is discrete math:
- number theory
- graph theory (we've got [graph])
- planning and discrete optimization
- encryption
The "application" branch, somewhat randomly choosen keywords
- CAS
- data visualization, including curve fitting, descriptive statistics,
 adaptive filtering and isosurface detection
- neural networks and machine learning in general
- diagram layout, general graph layout
- 3D modelling and rendering
- ERP
- network simulation

Well, the utility of [math] for real world heavy number crunching (the
very first point above) will always be limited. Other directions seems
to be more interesting in terms of getting people using it in real
world applications.

J.Pietschmann