Michael Becke wrote:
In particular I would like to hear from all the regular committers, contributors, and users. How do you think this move would effect HttpClient's visibility, community, and organization?

I see HttpClient as a Jakarta level project. As Oleg has already stated, its design is really to be overhauled, even if a lot of its functionality is working very well. But it has not yet reached the high quality that ASF projects are meant to achieve. So I don't see HttpClient as a TLP (yet - maybe release 4.0).
Still, I think HttpClient is probably the best (in terms of features, standards-compliance) HTTP library available for Java. And this fact has attracted a large community so far. Further hiding HttpClient inside Commons just doesn't make sense any longer.
The important thing for us developers is a) to be able to maintain Bugzilla adequately and b) to be efficient without too much overhead.

Ortwin Glück aka Odi