Otis, et al
There are several things that in my view make HttpClient not yet ready
for a full-blown TLP status:

* Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that TLPs were
supposed to support multiple platforms, hence their top level status.
Whereas I can certainly imagine HttpClient implemented in straight C or
C++ (or any other language), I just do not think we'll have enough
resources to actively develop anything but a Java version in the
foreseeable future
* I can hardly think of any subproject within HttpClient project.
Ability to host sub-project within a project is one of the primary
criteria for promoting a project to the top level. I do not think we
qualify
* As useful and feature rich HttpClient has become, let's face it, it's
not exactly a masterpiece of design elegancy. Being a TLP would make
HttpClient de facto Apache's official HTTP client. Frankly, I do not
think HttpClient in its present form deserves it. There's still lots to
be done before it possibly could.

There are different ways of seeing things, and I certainly can be wrong
here, but I do think HttpClient should stay within Jakarta for the
release 3.0 and 4.0

Oleg