> I must be missing something, but a Java version = multiple platforms
> supported, unless you are referring to multiple platforms being
> multiple languages.

Brad, et al
I apologize for not having made myself clear enough. By multiple platforms I did not
mean different operating systems. I meant to refer to different execution environments
/ APIs (JVM, CRL (.NET), ANSI C)

> ... but considering the fact that HttpClient is an
> implementation that is the conglomeration of several RFC's, I'd say
> those additional RFC's (besides just the straight HTTP RFC) might
> constitute sub-projects.  A redesign of the architecture might make
> things look more pluggable in the future.

Of course, one may see Slide (WebDAV spec implementation) as a subproject of
HttpClient. I bet, though, that Slide folks would beg to differ. To them HttpClient is
just a utility layer. My point here, at the moment we lack (1) clear vision of how we
would like to see HttpClient develop beyond its original purpose, (2) wider community
of users (3) flexible architecture to foster such wider community of users.

IMO, we win nothing by becoming a TLP. Instead we might end up with additional
managerial overhead to bear. With our current scarce resources it may cause more harm
than good. Let us roll up the sleeves and get down to business to make HttpClient 4.0
something worthy of Apache TLP. And one day we may find ourselves at the level where
the promotion to TLP would be a matter of website redeployment.

Cheers,