Mike,

Various questions seemed to follow from yours:

Should HttpClient be promoted to a Jakarta project?
- Yes, that would seem to make sense, given the separate mailing list, the list of other "commons" libraries it depends upon, the separate mailing list, and the bugzilla needs, which all point to its slightly "heavier" nature than other commons projects.

Should HttpClient be a TLP?
- Don't think so.  Too much extra infrastructure, not much extra benefit.

When can HttpClient 2.0 ship?
- Although I think Oleg is being diligent in wanting to have a road-map in place for shipping 2.0, the contrary point is that as open-source software, the road-map is dependent on the interests that drive the product forward. As such, it is entirely unpredictable. I would like to see/hear Oleg's ideas about where we should be going, since his ideas will probably be quite helpful to the rest of us, but I'm not sure we need to hold up the 2.0 release for that. Email or a web-site posting would work just as well for that.

- I seem to recall that a bug was actually reported against 2.0rc3, which means that we need to have a 2.0rc4, doesn't it? I think we should be absolutely ruthless, that if a bug is not reported within the appropriate window, we should name whichever rcX release the final. If need be, we can always come up with a 2.0.1 release that patches any future discovered bugs.

-Eric.

Michael Becke wrote:

Hello All,

There has been some discussion lately of promoting HttpClient out of commons, making it a regular Jakarta project. Before any such move is made we would need to come to a consensus, and vote, within the HttpClient community. At this point I would like to encourage everyone to put in their 2 cents. What does everyone think?

In particular I would like to hear from all the regular committers, contributors, and users. How do you think this move would effect HttpClient's visibility, community, and organization?

Mike