Hey all,

I'm new to the HttpClient mailing list, but here's a couple of newbie observations:

* Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that TLPs were
supposed to support multiple platforms, hence their top level status.
Whereas I can certainly imagine HttpClient implemented in straight C or
C++ (or any other language), I just do not think we'll have enough
resources to actively develop anything but a Java version in the
foreseeable future

I must be missing something, but a Java version = multiple platforms supported, unless you are referring to multiple platforms being multiple languages.

* I can hardly think of any subproject within HttpClient project.
Ability to host sub-project within a project is one of the primary
criteria for promoting a project to the top level. I do not think we
qualify

I wouldn't be so hasty here. I think from a certain point of view, there are several sub-projects within HttpClient already. If you view HttpClient as one monolithic app (which it may well be now) then you have a point, but considering the fact that HttpClient is an implementation that is the conglomeration of several RFC's, I'd say those additional RFC's (besides just the straight HTTP RFC) might constitute sub-projects. A redesign of the architecture might make things look more pluggable in the future.

* As useful and feature rich HttpClient has become, let's face it, it's
not exactly a masterpiece of design elegancy. Being a TLP would make
HttpClient de facto Apache's official HTTP client. Frankly, I do not
think HttpClient in its present form deserves it. There's still lots to
be done before it possibly could.

Masterpiece is a function of good design and maturation. I wouldn't worry too much about this -- there are many OSS projects (and proprietary ones) that rank low on the design elegancy scale.

I guess as a newbie, my biggest question is, what are the disadvantages of promotion? As someone that recently had to complete an HTTP dependent project, I was very surprised at the woefully sparse number of helpful HTTP resources for the Java platform. Plenty of Google hits, few real meaty resources though.

BradO