Another downside of top-level-hood is the overhead. Jakarta already has a fully functional PMC and a Charter, as well as an established brand.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

otisg wrote:

I am a HttpClient user and a Lucene committer.
I don't see any problems in HttpClient moving out of Commons.
However, before you waste time doing that, talk to people
involved in moving projects from Jakarta and making them Top
Level Projects (TLP).  Ant, Log4j, etc. have made this move, so
you may want to skip the 'Commons -> Jakarta' move and just do
the 'Commons -> TLP' move.

Either of the two moves would bring HttpClient more visibility,
and I think HttpClient needs and deserves it.

Otis Gospodnetic