Hey Greg,

--- Greg Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:04:35PM -0800, Morgan
> Delagrange wrote:

Probably.  I think I was just responding to a specific
statement from Ken, where he said he wanted to spare
the rod.

> > > It is not only for the nominee but also for the
> voting body.
> > > When someone other than a fellow voter is
> looking at you
> > > expectantly, people tend to act differently.
> [Try stuffing
> > > a camera in someones face and see if you can
> spot behaviour
> > > changes.]
> > >
> > > In a sense this is influencing the voting body,
> whether positive
> > > or negative doesn't matter, it's inappropiate
> IMO.
>
> Yup.

> > I'd stop short of saying that using a public forum
> is
> > "inappropriate", but I think you've correctly
> > identified some disadvantages.
>
> Oh, Sander hasn't even come close :-)
>
> The problem with discussing people in public is that
> it is *extremely*
> divisive and polarizing to the community. No matter
> how well-intentioned it
> may be, or how thick the recipient's skin is... such
> a discussion *creates*
> factions within the community.
>
> Let's say that I came out and said, "Morgan? Oh, I
> don't think so. The
> postings that I've seen from him do not mesh well
> with the long-term ideals
> of what the ASF is all about. He represents himself
> and his community in
> Jakarta Commosn, but isn't concerned about the ASF
> except to give him more
> protection for his corner of the world."

LOL!  Love the example.  OK, so let's suppose that
your opinion is that "Morgan" isn't concerned with the
ASF except insofar as it protects his subproject...

> What would happen?
>
> * you're okay with it. no problem.

Unlikely.  "Morgan" might respect your opinion, but I
suspect he'll defend his position.  The way in which
he defends that position is as important as the
message he tries to convey.

> * people who know you now take a couple actions
>   - they put themselves into the "pro-Morgan" camp
> and me in the
>     "anti-Morgan" camp.

Quite possible.  At which point you would explain that
you're not "anti-Morgan" per se, but only that you're
not sure he's right for ASF membership.  Then you'd
explain that ASF members are "dedicated, long-term"
participants in the Apache Way, and you'd explain in
more detail why Morgan doesn't get it.

Then Morgan would probably say something about how
much he respects Greg's opinions and supports his
right to it, and then no doubt spout some drivel
supporting his position and explain away his ignorance
of the Apache Way.

OR...

Morgan would explode and the voting members would say,
"wow, this guy doesn't look like he's very
reasonable."

If members have reservations about a candidate, how
can they allay these fears without seeing the
candidate "in action", so to speak?

>   - where I stated an opinion, they now turn it into
> a debate on your merits
>     and the list devolves into "but look at what
> Morgan has done" or "see
>     how he has contributed" while I was only trying
> to state an opinion on
>     what I had seen

Aren't Morgan's contributions valid to the discussion?
 Actions speak louder than words, after all.  Of
course, that doesn't make your opinion invalid either,
and I'd expect that you'd defend it vigorously.

> * people who aren't familiar with the situation
> place themselves into the
>   "oh, whatever" camp and start dropping the
> debators into the other camps.

That's inevitable, whether or not the discussion
happens on members.  Most of the members will not have
worked with the candidate.  Actually, this reorg list
is the only cross-project discussion most of us
non-members have ever seen, and I think it's doing a
lot of good for that reason.

> * people who agree with my position "align
> themselves" with my opinion,
>   again creating factions
>   - if they post a support email for me, then the
> other members of the
>     community place that support into the
> anti-Morgan camp
>   - and we're back to the spin/discussion on your
> merits/anti-merits

Sure the discussion might get a little heated.  But
we're talking about ASF membership here, it's a big
deal.  Be tough.  If a candidate can't support his
credentials without resorting to insults and tirades,
what kind of ASF member would he be?

> * BIG ITEM: my quote above was merely an example.
> but I *EDITED* the damned
>   thing. I didn't even realize it until I got to
> this part of my email. the
>   original hypothesis was that it would be posted in
> a public forum. my
>   original text was "Morgan? oh, fuck that. ..." but
> while writing that, I
>   thought, "oh. this is for a public forum, so I
> wouldn't have phrased it so
>   strongly. let me tone down the example." thus, my
> supposed, original
>   motivations against you have been toned down. the
> other readers are not
>   going to get the full brunt of my opinion because
> I had to tone it down
>   for a public forum.

I think you tone it down not just because of the
public forum, but because you have to make an argument
to which the candidate can respond.  I think that's
positive.  If you had actually said "Morgan? oh, fuck
that. ...", I'd hope other members would say, "syntax
error, please refrase in the form of constructive
criticism".

>   and this is just an *example*... what if it were
> real?
>
> * future opinions are now muddied. people in the
> pro-Morgan camp will always
>   take my words with an bad highlight over them.
> "oh, he doesn't like
>   Morgan. he has bad opinions." or when we have a
> technical debate, people
>   will question, "is this truly a technical debate,
> or is this based on his
>   original anti-morgan stance?"

That's possible.  I've worked on several Jakarta
subprojects, all of which conduct committer
nominations _exclusively_ in public forums.  Arguments
over nominations have been so infrequent that I cannot
actually recall a single instance.

There is the infamous incident where someone (I forget
who) vetoed a committer nomination on Tomcat.  I don't
work on that subproject, but had I been there at the
time, I would have defended that person's right to his
opinion, even if I disagreed with the opinion itself.

> > I'd offer two potential advantages in response: 1)
> > members can pose questions directly to the
> candidate,
>
> Always possible. A public forum is not necessary for
> this. As Pier stated in
> another email, he spoke with Justin via IRC. Stuff
> like that and emails are
> quite doable. The posting of a nomination and
> discussion about the pros/cons
> of a person in public does not create any particular
> advantage for talking
> with the nominee.

Good point.

> > and 2) other non-members get to see what goes into
> the
> > selection process. I'd say the second is the more
> > significant.  We've already asserted that member
> > selection is qualitative in nature and varies from
> > case-to-case.  By debating on a forum available to
> > other committers, non-members can witness some of
> the
> > selection criteria as they evolve.
>
> Yes, for better or worse, it is a highly subjective
> process which means
> there is really no way to extract useful rules.
>
> But "debate" is an awful thing to get into when
> you're talking about a
> person. It is the single-most and quickest way to
> create divisiveness,
> factions, and polarization within a community.
>
> Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit
> status, or PMC membership
> really should be private. I absolutely will not
> participate in such an
> environment, and will encourage others to avoid it
> also. These kinds of
> discussions really don't enhance the community.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

You make a lot of good points.  Let me be devil's
advocate and make a couple explicit points that I
think you imply above:

1) ASF membership is very important
2) ASF membership is more likely to be contentious
than other decisions for that reason

Perhaps some middle ground could be reached?  A public
discussion on merits followed by a private debate?
Leave the decision of whether or not to address the
candidate directly to each member?  Maybe at the end
of the day, the community list is the wrong place for
the ultimate resolution of the process, but it may be
a useful auxiliary tool.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange