At 12:00 PM 9/21/2004, Ross Gardler wrote:
Felipe Leme wrote:
Hi all,
I had to talk with MyEclipseIDE (http://myeclipseide.com) support
regarding work-related issues, so I took the opportunity to inquiry if
they would provide free licenses for ASF committers (as someone
mentioned in an internal list, IDEA provided some licenses for Ant
committers some months ago, so why not try others...). Here is the
answer I got:

3. We would also be happy to provide free subscriptions to Apache committers, but I need to be able to answer management's question on how does that benefit MyEclipse. Any suggestions on how to make the case for it?

So, I'd like you to help me 'making a case for it'. A couple of reasons I thought about were:

I'm not sure why I would want a license to myEclipse when (as far as I can tell) everything in it is in the Open Source version of Eclipse. I suppose there is value in having someone else sift through all the possible plugins and configure them accordingly if you are working in that field.

Regardless of the merits of myEclipse (or otherwise), I would say the most compelling argument for free licenses for ASF folk is that Eclipse already includes a large amount of ASF code and so myEclipse would not exist without the ASF. As each day passes more and more functionality is being added to Eclipse (and hence myEclipse) through ASF projects.

To be honest I feel that the need for the ASF to make a "case for it" is in itself quite insulting. They (Genuitec) even have the names of some ASF projects on their home page. Yet a search of their site for "Apache" only reveals a couple of forum threads.

The initial reaction of Genuitec is quite typical. It is better qualified as ignorant, not arrogant. If the ASF is comfortable with software donations, then we should make it easy for companies such as Genuitec to to beg us to use their software in exchange for recognition. When we initiate contact, we are placing ourselves in a position of inferiority.

Any sort of recognition by a large ASF project is worth much more than the software being donated. Whether we want to leverage that value or not, is a different matter altogether.

Ross

-- Ceki Gülcü