On 03.31, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 03:01, Buchan Milne wrote:
> >
> > James Sparenberg wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 16:41, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
> > >
> > > perhaps the time has come to start looking at
> > > a slower release cycle, and/or niche releases ie laptop, MNF Multimedia
> > > etc.
> >
> > I fail to see why a laptop needs vastly different software to a dekstop
> > machine.
> >
> > Does Apple have a laptop version of OS X?
> Yes

Uh? Since when ?

> > Does windows have a laptop version of Windows XP?
> Yes
>
> Problem is you don't see it.  It's integrated into one.  IE you buy the
> product installed.  But there are differences.

Pfff. I have installed the same mac OS cdrom on tons of boxes. That is the
first thing I do with a new box. Wipe it and reinstall to have it nifty clean...
And the same CD works for all boxes. I even installed the same CD on
theoretically unsupported ('old world') boxes. Get MacOS X. You have samba,
apache, and X on a laptop. And you have power management on desktop.

Tell me what is the difference between a laptop and a big box. What software
should I not run on a laptop that I run on a desktop. Even bad mouthes said
that the only difference between desktop and 'server' versions of windows
is just the default scheduler timeslices for applications and services.

Please don't follow the above suggestion (ie, several versions of mandrake).
If that happens, people will start to look for a distro that works directly
for all machines. That's the beauty of Linux. You get more that you can
think of on one distribution, both for your big iron and your laptop.
Who says I can't develop and test multi-threaded apps on my laptop ?.
And why can't I have a pcmcia reader on my desktop ?

I have realized this just as I type. Think of a lab/university admin that
gets a DVD with a Mandrake's 9.2 installer both for i386, sparc, and PPC
in different partitions (if all that can fit on a single DVD...). Just
put the DVD on your pocked and reformat the lab...And this is a perfect
option for making money, who can download a dvd image....

--
J.A. Magallon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free