> Still haven't learned how yet, so you get .zip attachment instead
> (shrunk only about 50%, total 4545 bytes).
The mouse device is active as per the /proc/interrupts info. All cards
seem to be detected and initialized alright (from dmesg). (I would try
to get the NIC on IRQ 9, the sound card on IRQ 5(despite it apparently
refusing to work there) and keep USB on 3 but that's just my obsession. :-)
  This does not exclude interference at a later stage. From the low
interrupt activity I infer that you did the "measurement" right after
boot. What does /proc/interrupts and dmesg output (not file!) give right
after the mouse blocks (don't need the rest of the info)? (Only move it
within a terminal window to keep keyboard focus and full exposure.)
  I should check the kernel change log to find out if something
changed recently with regard to PS/2 but I doubt it. So either the mouse
(port) hardware is flaky or the XF86 4.2 mouse packet driver is buggy (but
why only for you????). What does /var/log/XFree86.0.log show?
  To rule out other SW problems, you should strace -p <PID of X server>
the X server to find out if it blocks and if so, if it is on the mouse
device file. If it does, it really is the mouse. Of course, this is
without taking devfs into the equation of which I haven't heard until
recently on this list.
  It is hard to judge from your messages what you did right before or
after sndconfig to determine that this really is the root cause...

Happy hunting,

Guy