Guy.Bormann wrote:

>>I never tried it the DOS software, and the ISA card is jumperless. No
>>windoze here, and don't use DOS enough to bother making sound work in
>>it. Sound card came only with a CD, which is a PITA in DOS. OS/2
>>installed the ISA sound drivers with no fuss or lockups.

> You obviously have NO idea what I'm talking about :-) Getting it WORKING
> under DOS is indeed a super PITA. But I was talking about little
> low-level test utilities one finds with many ISA cards.
> (Concerning CDROMs in DOS, I never found it a PITA unless I forgot to
> put MSCDEX.COM(?) on the boot floppy.)

I simply never felt compelled, since the OS/2 Crystal 4235 driver
installer made it work just fine. No fiddling or shenanigans required.

> [snip : will look at the config tonight (CET zone)]

>>OS/2 has never listed the Realtek 8139 in hardware manager.

> But it is present and it works?? Cheap Realtek chipset-based cards also
> don't like sharing. In fact, el cheapo cards usually don't support
> IRQ sharing. Adding to the trouble is that they sometimes don't fail
> completely so that they appear to work when you don't strain them.

Works fine, just never shows in an OS/2 resource list. The RC3 install was
from a network.img floppy boot. Not an el cheapo either: AOpen ALN-325 cost
40% more than the cheapie 8139's.

>>I tried to find something to list resources in Linux using
>>apropos, and had no luck. What do I use at the cli to list
>>them?

> cat /proc/interrupts
> cat /proc/ioports
> lspci -v
> cat /var/log/dmesg
> (Just redirecting the output of the command 'dmesg' to a file only gives
> you the last few lines of the kernel hardware messages. I need the
> boot messages.)

> (Please, put in tar.gz for attachment if you think about sending them to
> the list.)

Still haven't learned how yet, so you get .zip attachment instead
(shrunk only about 50%, total 4545 bytes).
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would have them do
to you . . . ."                                 Matthew 7:12 NIV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/