[snip]
> 2-OS/2 doesn't find it necessary to reserve IRQ 15 when there is only
> one IDE device in the system and the secondary IDE controller is
> disabled to free IRQ 15 for something that wants or needs it.
Fair enough.

[snip]
>   > accomodate all extension cards. But on the other hand, only
use IRQ sharing between
>   > non-sound card cards.
> This Award BIOS doesn't seem to like permissive PCI IRQ sharing, only

Sharing is never a good idea anyway, but somehow it is even worse with
a (CL) sound card present.

[snip]
>   > There is one thing that DOS is perfect for on old hardware :
using the setup floppy
>   > that should have come with your card. Usually there is a small port setup and
>test
>   > utility with which you can figure out the IRQ/IO combo or it tells you if the
>card
>   > needs jumpers set. There should be a leaflet explaining on how to turn also the
>card
>   > from automatic (f.i. through PNP) to manual setup.
>
> I never tried it the DOS software, and the ISA card is jumperless. No
> windoze here, and don't use DOS enough to bother making sound work in
> it. Sound card came only with a CD, which is a PITA in DOS. OS/2
> installed the ISA sound drivers with no fuss or lockups.
You obviously have NO idea what I'm talking about :-) Getting it WORKING
under DOS is indeed a super PITA. But I was talking about little
low-level test utilities one finds with many ISA cards.
(Concerning CDROMs in DOS, I never found it a PITA unless I forgot to
put MSCDEX.COM(?) on the boot floppy.)

[snip]
> No cards have manual jumpers.
Great!

[snip : will look at the config tonight (CET zone)]

> OS/2 has never listed the Realtek 8139 in hardware manager.
But it is present and it works?? Cheap Realtek chipset-based cards also
don't like sharing. In fact, el cheapo cards usually don't support
IRQ sharing. Adding to the trouble is that they sometimes don't fail
completely so that they appear to work when you don't strain them.

> There are other devices listed, but none have IRQ or DMA
> allocations. I/O addresses are listed. If you want those
> too, let me know.
If they work and don't have a IRQ, they are either pseudo-devices or
polled through I/O ports. Don't need the data...

> I tried to find something to list resources in Linux using
> apropos, and had no luck. What do I use at the cli to list
> them?
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports
lspci -v
cat /var/log/dmesg
(Just redirecting the output of the command 'dmesg' to a file only gives
you the last few lines of the kernel hardware messages. I need the
boot messages.)

(Please, put in tar.gz for attachment if you think about sending them to
the list.)

Guy